Duties of parents?
Dear brother it has been three years since I have got married, and alhamdulilla I have a son now who is one year old, Im not much knowledgeable about deen, and I have the strong desire to be the best parent, I want to give my child best atmosphere to grow, but what bothers me is I don’t know my exact responsibilities as a muslim parent.so Brother help me to know my responsibilities?
We begin with Allah’s blessed name, we praise him and we glorify him, seek his forgiveness and ask him to guide us. Whoever Allah guides, None can lead astray and whoever he misguides, None can guide. There is no power and no strength except from Allah, The most high, the Most great, the most powerful. We bear witness that there is no one worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers. We pray for peace and blessings on all the noble messengers and in particular on the last of them all “the blessed prophet Mohammad (pbuh)”
Dear brother we have started this website with the sole intention of helping our brothers and sisters to understand the message of Allah, and this we do for the sake and pleasure of Allah. We do not want any name or fame, but what is our humble goal, is to try to make Allah’s Word supreme in this world.
Dear brother, As a Muslim, it is important to understand the significance and responsibility of the parenting role, the importance of preparing the children for hereafter and the obligation of protecting them from hellfire. Allah says in the glorious Quran:
O ye who believe! Save yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is Men and Stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who flinch not (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allah, but do (precisely) what they are commanded. Quran[66:6]
Narrated Abdullah bin 'Umar:
I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "Everyone of you is a guardian, and responsible for what is in his custody. The ruler is a guardian of his subjects and responsible for them; a husband is a guardian of his family and is responsible for it; a lady is a guardian of her husband's house and is responsible for it, and a servant is a guardian of his master's property and is responsible for it." I heard that from Allah's Apostle and I think that the Prophet also said, "A man is a guardian of is father's property and is responsible for it, so all of you are guardians and responsible for your wards and things under your care." SAHIH AL-BUKHARI [VOL:3, BOOK:41, HADITH: 592]
The upbringing of a Muslim child should be the life-long mission of every God-Fearing parent; and if every believing parent fulfills his role in this duty, then ‘Insha-Allah’ the next generation of muslims will not suffer the humility and degradation that our generation has suffered at the hands of the disbelievers.
Some of the many duties of the believing parents towards their child are mentioned below:
1) One should respect and honor the child and should always avoid disrespecting them.
2) One should cherish & nurture the child with utmost care and affection.
3) One should teach the child the good manners and should provide them the best education both of Islam and the world.
4) Encourage and help them learn and practice the religion “al-Islam”.
5) Make them understand the value of being truthful and honest.
6) Make them understand their relation with Allah and his prophet (pbuh).
7) Be righteous & god fearing yourself ‘inshallah’ your child will follow the path.
8) One of the fundamental concept of parent is that the children’s are the test from Allah and parents will be held accountable on the day of judgment about their upbringing of the child that Allah gave them.
9) Teach them kindness, respect and obedience towards parents.
10) Teach the establishment of prayer, on time in correct manner.
11) Enjoining them what is right and forbidding what is wrong.
12) Make their attachment with Quran and Sunnah.
13) Make them self confident, motivated, responsible, persistent, hard working, capable, skillful, content, satisfied, honest, trustworthy, courageous, and a leader.
14) Nurture iman in the children, ibn al qayyim says that iman is composed of following components:
a) Having the knowledge of what prophet(pbuh) taught.
b) Having complete and firm belief in what prophet (pbuh) brought.
c) Verbally professing ones belief in what he brought.
d) Submitting to what he brought out of love and humility.
e) Acting in accord with what prophet(pbuh ) brought, both inwardly and outwardly.
If we will not fulfill this role then definitely Allah does not need any one, He will destroy us and will bring a new generation who will love Allah and honor his commandments, and allah will love them. thus We pray to Allah to guide us to the right path and help us to honor your commandments and the role of parenting. Help us to bring up our Children according to your will, help us to transform them into your true slaves, so that you will be happy with us .
Allah Says in the glorious Quran: O ye who believe! If any from among you turn back from his faith, soon will Allah produce a people whom He will love, and they will love Him; humble with the believers and mighty against the rejecters; fighting in the way of Allah, and never afraid of the reproaches of such as find fault. That is the Grace of Allah, which He will bestow on whom He Pleaseth: and Allah Encompasseth all, and He Knoweth all things. QURAN[5:54]
And Allah alone knows the best.
I ask Allah to make this a sincere effort, seeking his pleasure, and I ask him to grant us refuge in him from the evils within ourselves, and that in our deeds. I ask him to grant us success in achieving whatever pleases him; And May Allah Shower His blessings and mercy upon our beloved Prophet
Muhammad (pbuh), his family and his Companions and on all those who follow him until the final hour.
Ask Your Question
You may also like:Relationship with the Parents